The Grand Prix’s Vintage Ride Experience is an exciting opportunity for spectators and race fans to experience a real lap of the race track in an authentic vintage race car driven by a licensed vintage racer. There are two opportunities: Saturday July 20, 2019 at Schenley Park and the July 13/14 weekend at Pitt Race Complex.
Our generous vintage racers take time out of their lunch break to come and share their cars with our participants. The lap takes about 5 minutes – the racers drive at less than race speed but you will certainly experience all the sights, sounds and smells of a real vintage lap. Many drivers provide a turn by turn narrative of the lap – if you can hear them above the roar of the engine! Here is a wonderfully descriptive article written by Dave Farnsworth of the Roundel magazine after he raced with us in 2018.
In addition to being a once-in-a-lifetime experience it also helps raise funds for our charities. Many thanks to our racers for contributing their time as well as fuel and tires for this worthy cause.
Schenley Park -Saturday July 20 noon – 12:50 pm
The entrance to the track is next to the Lamar VIP Tent at turn 15 on the golf course. This event grows more popular each year, so you may want to get there early to get a spot in line. For a $40 per person donation on a first come basis. Tickets can not be purchased in advance – cash and credit cards only. Rides run from noon until 12:50 PM only (weather and track conditions permitting).
Candy’s Rides at Historics at PIRC – Weekend July 13 and 14 noon – 12:50 pm
We offer the same Vintage Lap Experience during our Historics at the Pittsburgh International Race Complex in Beaver County on the weekend from noon – 12:50 pm each day. For a $25 donation fans can experience a a lap on the entire 2.8 mile circuit. It is $60 for a ride in a GT40 or Shelby Cobra.
This event at PIRC is dedicated to Candy Stephani who died of cancer in 2011. She was the wife of Ralph Steinberg, together they helped organize the PVGP races at Pitt-Race Complex.
Vintage Ride Procedures – Participants
- All participants for rides will enter the track through the designated gate.
- All participants MUST sign the waiver prior to passing through the gate to the track.
- There is no age restriction – but all participants must be at least 46″ tall.
- Participants must take the next car in line.
- All riders MUST wear seat belts (minimum) and shoulder harnesses if car is provided with them.
- All ride vehicles must pass technical inspection.
- All drivers participating shall be registered for the event.
- Drivers MUST exercise caution while on track, especially in the area from Turn 20 through Station
- Drivers should slow down at approximately Station 13 (at start of Golf Course at end of woods).
- Drivers will stop safely at their starting point to dispatch riders and pick-up next one.
- The MINI Track Cars serve as pace cars – do not pass them under any circumstance.
- No one will be permitted on Track during the Rides except the authorized cars.
- Workers remaining on Station during the Lunch Break/Patron Rides will maintain Track security and maintain radio contact with Control.
- Control will be manned during this event and will call for flags or any equipment necessary in case of emergency.
- All vehicles participating in this event must be off Track surface before any worker vehicles leave the Pit area to return to station.