Friday July 14 2017 – 6:30 to 8:30 PM
We are thrilled to announce the return of our Friday night “Forbes Avenue of Speed” Parade and Car Show in nearby Squirrel Hill. Our vintage racers will parade through Squirrel Hill and park on Forbes Avenue for a car show.
The plan is to leave in parade formation from the starting grid at 6:15, right after the driver’s meeting ends at 6:00. We encourage you to make the trip in your race car and park along Forbes Avenue in Squirrel Hill. You can drive up in your support vehicle too, but we ask that you not park with the race cars.. The event runs from 6:30 until 8:30 PM.
As part of this event the PVGP is holding a free private reception inside Orr’s Jewelers on Forbes Avenue for our racers and their crew. Orr’s hosted this event in 2012 and 2013. Appetizers, finger foods, sandwiches and desserts will be provided along with soft drinks, wine and Hofbräuhaus Beir from 6:30 until 8:30. Reception is open to all racers and their registered crew. Attendees must have official wristband from PVGP race registration to gain entry. It is just a small way the PVGP can thank the racers for making our event possible.
This exciting event will be held in conjunction with the Annual Squirrel Hill Sidewalk Sale – the best deals of the year on clothing, shoes, gifts, and so much more. Throughout the weekend, look for music, special activities, food trucks to supplement local restaurant’s offerings. Friday’s parade and car show are open to the public and there is no charge to come and watch. This is a great way to meet our drivers, grab some dinner and shop in Squirrel Hill. Please join us for this preview of the cars that will race through Schenley Park on the weekend.
Parade Route and Procedures
Stage 75-100 race cars along the bottom of Beacon Street between Hobart and our street closure.
- Mandatory PVGP Drivers Meeting held in Schenley Park will end at 6:00 PM Friday night. It will take 15 minutes to stage race cars at the bottom of Beacon Street. Beacon Street is closed to public at 6:00 that night so the portion we stage on will not have traffic.
- Parade will consist mainly of race cars with a dozen or so sponsor cars and Marque of the Year cars.
- Police escort needed with access through all traffic lights and stop signs – race cars do not have cooling systems
- Volunteers can help to control traffic at intersections.
- Cars to remain behind police escort throughout parade to control speed.
In-bound Parade to leave Beacon Street at approximately 6:20 PM
- Parade to move up Beacon Street toward Squirrel Hill, crossing over Murdoch Street, Wightman Street, Murray Avenue and turning left on Shady Avenue. Proceed down Shady Avenue past Bartlett Street and Darlington Road intersections and turn left onto Forbes Avenue.
- Cars to arrive starting 6:30 PM and park in three rows on Forbes Avenue between Shady Avenue and Murray Avenue.
- All race cars will be parking in rows pointing down Forbes Avenue – no backing up or parallel parking
- The entire block be closed to public cars from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, a lane will be left open for emergency vehicles and exit.
- Cars will be on display until 8:30 PM
- No parking on the block will be posted and enforced starting at 5:00 PM on Friday July 15.
Out-bound Parade to leave Forbes Avenue at approximately 8:30 PM
- All cars to depart simultaneously at 8:30 PM
- Police escorted parade down Forbes, left on Wightman, right on Beacon, left on Hobart and right on Prospect into paddock.