Allegheny Valley School (AVS) has been providing lifelong opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) since 1960. Today, AVS offers a variety of residential and therapeutic programs to 900+ children and adults at more than 125 programs and facilities in nine Pennsylvania counties. AVS cares for some of the most vulnerable citizens in our communities.
Proceeds from the PVGP are used to cover expenses at AVS that are not reimbursable by Medicaid including equipment, new program development, renovations, improvements and so much more.
Recently, support has been used to:
- Create an outdoor recreational space at the Kennedy Program Center
- Build and equip a new sensory space at the Slippery Rock Program Center
- Improve the food preparation program area and purchase new tables for the classrooms at the Edward J. Zapp Program Center
- Acquire vocational and prevocational tools and materials for our program centers through Pennsylvania
- Purchase equipment for the Pittsburgh and Patricia Hillman Miller Campuses
AVS provides a comprehensive continuum of services to support each person and help the individual continue to grow and learn at every stage of life. Each person is cared for with individualized services ranging from physical, occupational and communication therapies to special education and vocational training.
To enhance services provided, AVS has developed, implemented and distributed an innovative sensory program. The program provides a variety of activities and settings to help consumers interact more comfortably within their surroundings. Innovative sensory rooms, gardens and specialized activities have made a real difference in the lives of the individuals.
The mission of Allegheny Valley School is to provide quality programs and facilities to help the individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities entrusted to our care to live with purpose and dignity, and to provide opportunities and choices for our clients to grow and function at their full potential as independently as possible.